The Board of Directors of Step-Up, Inc. is seeking to hire an effective human services professional to serve as President and CEO. This individual will lead the organization to achieve its mission and vision. This individual should be able to maintain Step-Up’s commitment to delivering effective, innovative, and culturally responsive programs and services for traditionally marginalized and underserved communities. This person should also be able to pilot Step-Up into the future as a wellness organization focused on addressing systemic barriers and social determinants of health, specifically as it relates to individuals living with HIV and/or those with criminal legal involvement.
The President will ensure that Step-Up is a model service organization, while working with the Board and the leadership to sustain and maintain a collaborative, strength-based, and positive culture. This individual will preserve Step-Up’s distinction as an employer of choice.
The ideal candidate for this position will embody these qualities among others:
- Actively engaged with staff and Community
- Social Justice-Focused
- Collaborative in Decision Making
The President and CEO is responsible for direction and management of organization operations, programming, and personnel at Step-Up, Inc.
Board of Directors
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Other duties may be assigned.
OPERATIONS AND MANAGEMENT:
- Manages the human resources responsibilities of the organization according to established personnel policies and procedures that meet or exceed State and Federal employment policies.
- Supervises by providing guidance and support to the leadership team directly and provides indirect supervision and guidance to the staff.
- Shares established benchmarks and goals with the leadership team and empowers them to guide their teams to achieving the stated goals.
FUND DEVELOPMENT AND GRANTS MANAGEMENT
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget for the Board, ensures that it is aligned with the organizational objectives, funder requirements and legal requirements.
- Ensures that transparent budgets and program reports are prepared for the Board which accurately reflect the utilization of resources, unmet needs, and future projections.
- Works in conjunction with the Board to ensure that the organization has the funds and resources (volunteer, in-kind, contributions) it needs to meet and/or exceed its stated objectives.
- Identifies and cultivates potential grants, funders, partners, and resources to maintain and build the operations, programs, and staff.
- Monitors the utilization of resources (fiscal, volunteer, and in-kind contributions) in conjunction with leadership team and the Board.
- Oversees grant writing, reporting, filing, compiling program reports, monitoring the budget and finances for accuracy and transparency.
- Ensures that the organization remains fiscally solvent and engages in good stewardship.
- Works in conjunction with the Board, staff, stakeholders, and the community to create and sustain a shared vision for the organization.
- Advocates for resources, policies, and practices that fortify programs, services, and support for individuals from traditionally marginalized and/or disenfranchised populations, especially including those impacted by HIV and/or the criminal legal system.
- Retains knowledge of current policy and practice trends at the local, regional, state, and national levels.
- Mobilizes and engages the staff to achieve or exceed its stated performance objectives. Ensures that staff has the training, technical assistance, tools, resources, and support needed achieve professional objectives.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND NETWORKING
- Ensures that the organization establishes and retains strong and diverse relationships with engaged community partners, funders, stakeholders, partner organizations, coalitions, human service professionals, and governmental entities on local, regional, state, and federal levels.
- Maintains strong relationships and engagement with Agency clientele.
- Builds upon and advances Step-Up’s strong community presence and positive image among stakeholders, ensuring that the organization is viewed as a leader in the human services, especially as it relates to HIV and/or the criminal legal system.
- Possesses strong public speaking and advocacy skills.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Communication – Clearly communicates with others both orally and in writing.
- Collaboration – Works well with a team as well as independently.
- Initiative – Works effectively with minimal supervision.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Sets goals and objectives; Practices effective time-management skills.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality through continuous improvement.
- Cost Consciousness – Looks for and suggests cost saving measures; Contributes to
profits and revenue.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works ethically and with integrity; Upholds organizational mission and values.
- Organizational Support – Supports and promotes organization’s mission and values.
- Strategic Thinking – Contributes ideas to achieve organizational goals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. A degree in Public Health, Non-Profit Management, Social Work, Finance, Management or related social services area is desired. Master’s degree preferred.
- A proven leader in the Human Services arena, with a minimum of 5-7 years of Senior Management experience including prior supervision responsibility, successful grant writing, fund development, program management, and leadership/advocacy.
- Prior knowledge of the needs and barriers faced by traditionally marginalized/disenfranchised communities, including those impacted by HIV and the criminal legal system.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving and working in culturally responsive and inclusive ways.
- Strong communication skills: writing, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
Ability to read and speak English required.
- Proficiency with Word and Outlook, ability to learn additional programs required.
- Dependable transportation required at all times; position may entail travel throughout Indiana.
This position is responsible for supervising the leadership and administration team which may include the Director of Finance, Director or Development, Director of Client Services, Director of Reentry Services, Director of Outreach and Prevention, Quality Manager, and Receptionist.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND ACCESSIBILITY
Step-Up, inc. actively strives to create a workspace that appreciates and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. This includes establishing planning committees, and equitable hiring practices, and engaging professional trainers and consultants for all levels of the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly work 37 ½ hours per week, additional hours may occasionally be required. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds with or without assistance; Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus; While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear; While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to bend, twist and squat.
Interested and qualified applicants may apply by submitting a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.